Monday, November 21, 2011

Thank You God

Hebrews 12:28-29
Therefore, since we are receiving a kingdom that cannot be shaken, let us be thankful, and so worship God acceptably with reverence and awe, for our God is a consuming fire.

It is that time of year again! Thanksgiving week! It's one of my favorite times of year, and it's one of many, MANY people's favorite time of year. I went and asked a couple of people what they thought of when I said the words Thanksgiving Day and these people came up with several different replies.

- Food
- Turkey
- Football
- No school/work
- Family
- Black Friday

I love all of these things. This holiday is very appealing to me because it's placed perfectly in the year, it is a time of family, a time to lay back and do nothing and a time to fill our bellies.

This is also probably one of God's favorite times of the year. This is the day were we get the privilege to praise our Maker all day for the things that he does for us, and is doing. Unfortunately, our society has strayed away from that aspect of the day and formed it to just be the things that are listed above. They want to take the day of Thanksgiving and turn it into a day of Selfish Getting. The Lord has been all but forgotten on the day that was meant for him.

I know that two years ago on Thanksgiving day, it was almost 12:00 am, and all of the sudden I remembered that I had not said one word of thanksgiving to my Lord. I prayed quickly so that I could get in a couple of words to him before it was the next day. I thought it was funny that night, but the next day as I thought about it, I became repulsed with myself that I had forgotten completely until the day was almost over to even thank my Creator who gives me life, and who blesses me daily. I didn't even give him some of my time during that day because I was so focused on pleasing myself.

I had decided from then on that I was never going to allow that to happen again. I decided that instead of forming the day for myself, I was going to give of myself to the Lord and thank him for everything that was done for me that day. Every time I filled my plate, I would thank him. Every time I was blessed with my family's company I would thank my Lord. I gave of myself to him that next time by spending more time with him than normal, even if it meant getting up at 4 in the morning to do so.

It is very tough to find time to do things like that when family and friends are away. That is why it is so important to ready your mind the week of Thanksgiving by giving him thanks for everything that is done. This week try to remember to thank him for everything he is doing for you. For every meal,  For every conversation, for every breath. Jesus gave his life on the cross for us, so this should be a piece of cake challenge. I'm starting today (the first day of the week) and I will continue through Thanksgiving. Pray that in this week that you will please the Lord, and that this week will continue throughout your year. That you will grow more thankful to the Lord for everything, even the bad things. Don't let this Thanksgiving day be once every year. Make it a every day thing. The Lord will pour blessings into your life when you focus on praising him. So let's thank our Creator.We have so much to be thankful for. Praise the Lord!!

1 Chronicles 16:8 - Oh give thanks to the LORD, call upon His name; Make known His deeds among the peoples.

~Philippians 4:8
Whatsoever things are true

No comments:

Post a Comment